Apart from the likelihood of developing an alcohol use disorder through frequent and long-term use, short-term binge drinking has many fatal risks, including poisoning and auto accidents. It is vital to note the signs of alcohol overdose to help your loved one when things go wrong.
Alcohol is acceptable in most countries, especially in social settings. While moderate drinking may not cause severe problems, excessive and irresponsible alcohol consumption can lead to extreme consequences, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). If you or a loved one is experiencing dangerous alcohol consumption, it might be time to seek help from Midwest Recovery Center’s alcohol rehab program.
Understanding Alcohol Overdose
Alcohol overdose occurs when you drink more than the body can withstand. Like other forms of toxin exposure, the body reacts after consuming excessive alcohol, and the victim can experience several fatal side effects. An overdose may occur due to high blood alcohol concentration (BAC) because the liver cannot cope. As a result, it affects normal body functions, such as breathing, gag reflex, body temperature, and heart rate.
An alcohol overdose can happen when you take alcohol in excess within a short time. Poisoning is risky because it can have severe short- and long-term health effects, including damage to some body parts like the brain. In some cases, it can cause unintentional death. While food digestion takes hours, absorption of alcohol in the body is quick, straining the liver beyond its capacity.
Even when you stop drinking, the BAC increases because your stomach releases alcohol to the blood. When you notice signs of alcohol poisoning, contact the paramedics or take the victim to the hospital.
After the emergency treatment, undergoing a professional alcoholism treatment program at a rehab center is essential. At rehab, participants benefit from several treatment programs, including:
- Men’s rehab program
- Women’s rehab program
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Alumni program
- Community housing program
What Are the Signs of Alcohol Overdose?
The symptoms of alcohol overdose can differ from one person to another, depending on various factors. Sometimes, it can be a challenge to identify alcohol poisoning because the victim doesn’t need to be unconscious or show all the signs.
However, some signs can indicate whether someone needs quick medical attention, especially after chronic or binge drinking. Some of the warning signs to look out for include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Irregular heartbeat
- Slow unusual breathing
- A significant body temperature drop
- Blurred vision
- Uncontrollable shaking and shivering
Tips for Managing Alcohol Poisoning
When you identify the signs of alcohol overdose, it is vital to remain calm and stay with the victim until medical experts arrive.
It is possible for someone experiencing alcohol poisoning to vomit, and this can be risky if there is no one around to help. Excessive drinking can lead to the inhibition of gag reflexes, so vomiting can cause choking. Therefore, try to make the person sit, ensuring the airway is free. Lean the victim forward to prevent choking.
Make those who become unconscious due to excessive drinking lie sideways with the ear facing the ground. Tilt the head to one side as it can help prevent choking in case of vomiting. Don’t leave the victim until a qualified healthcare provider arrives. Abandoning an alcohol poisoned person without professional help can be a risky move, and death can occur.
Learn More at the Midwest Recovery Center
Occasional drinking with friends can be fun, but binge drinking comes with adverse consequences, reports the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). When someone shows any signs of alcohol overdose, act swiftly to save a life. Contact the Midwest Recovery Center at 833.627.0039 to learn more about alcohol use disorders and rehab treatment programs.