Family therapy is a proven effective kind of psychological counseling capable of assisting family members in learning how to communicate more effectively and healthily resolve conflicts. Many of the issues your family may be experiencing could result from one or more members of your family struggling with substance use disorders or mental health issues. Co-occurring mental health issues often cause people to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol, and the toll on a family unit can be extreme. If you, your parents, or your siblings struggle to relate, communicate and find harmony, family therapy may be the answer. Contact us online or call 833.627.0039 today to learn how family therapy at Midwest Recovery can help during the holiday season.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy is a short-term approach to improving the lines of communication within a family dynamic. A family therapy treatment program will be facilitated by a psychologist, clinical social worker, or licensed therapist. It may include all members of your family or only those willing and able to participate. A family therapy treatment program will be personalized based on the issues you and your family face and your individual needs.
How Effective Is a Family Therapy Treatment Program?
Midwest Recovery’s family therapy has the potential to be effective in teaching a variety of life skills to you and your family members. Family therapy for substance abuse will provide much-needed support to those family members whose drug and alcohol use are straining relationships and creating conflict. Additionally, family therapy assists in improving numerous other issues, including:
- Coping with stress
- Strengthening family bonds
- Improving relationships
- Working through marital issues
- Encouraging understanding
- Addressing grief
- Dealing with lingering anger
- Getting help with financial problems
- Resolving conflict between parents and children
- Addressing substance abuse within your family
- Coping with mental health disorders
When mental health issues play a role in family conflict, family therapy can be effective when used in concert with other forms of treatment. Family members can attend counseling sessions through a family therapy treatment program in family therapy for substance abuse. At the same time, the individual battling addiction participates in detox, rehab, and additional substance abuse treatments.
3 Ways Family Therapy Can Help You This Holiday Season
The holidays are a time when families often come together to celebrate and reconnect. For families with fractured relationships, this time of year can be stressful and potentially explosive. In a family therapy treatment program, impacted members of your family will gather together in the same room, with the common goal of enjoying a better family dynamic. Through therapy sessions, you and your family will learn important skills that will help you this holiday season, including:
- Identifying Strengths of Each Member of your Family: A family is a puzzle with a different shape that fits to create the whole. Everyone within that puzzle has strengths, and during family therapy, your counselor will help each family member understand what they bring to the table and, additionally, what skills and strengths each other has and discuss the best ways to effectively make use of those strengths to create a happier, more productive family environment during the holiday season.
- Teaching How To Better Express Emotions: The holidays are stressful, and emotions will sometimes be heightened. This is especially true if drugs and alcohol are involved. Family therapy substance abuse can teach families how to better express emotions, speak to each other in a healthy way, and get along during the tense holiday season.
- Developing Empathy: While you each have some things in common, every family member has their trauma, experiences, and struggles with which to contend and manage daily. Understanding each other is key to getting along with your family. A family therapy treatment program will help each family member develop empathy and understanding to create a more harmonious environment during the holidays and all year long.
Discover How Midwest Recovery Can Help
Learn how midwest family therapy can help make this holiday season less stressful and more enjoyable for every member of your family. Contact us using our secure online form or call us at 833.627.0039 today.